Aller au contenu Aller au menu principal Aller à la recherche

University of Burgundy

Cooperation agreements

Study at one of our partner universities from all over the world for a semester or a whole year.

Like the Erasmus+ programme, cooperation agreements outside of Erasmus+ allow you, in most cases, to spend a semester or a whole year studying at one of the University of Burgundy's partner universities. The only difference is that these non-Erasmus+ programmes allow you to study all across the world whereas Erasmus+ only allows you to go abroad in Europe.

The University of Burgundy has more than 100 partner universities outside of the Erasmus+ programme. You can study abroad at any partner university with which the University of Burgundy has a cooperation agreement within your area of studies.

For example, if you are a master's student studying economics, you cannot study at a university for which the agreement concerns the department of languages and communication at a bachelor's level. Another example: if you are a second year history student; you can go to any university where the University of Burgundy has a cooperation agreement for bachelor level studies in history within the Humanities faculty.

In some cases, the University of Burgundy may have signed agreements in all fields. In this case you can apply to these universities provided that they offer courses in your domain of studies.

Some agreements allow you to work as a language assistant in a university. Before applying, find out about this possibility with the help of your exchange coordinator or the person in charge of international relations within your department.


  • Be a student at the University of Burgundy.
  • Have passed at least either the first or the first and second year of your Bachelor degree.
  • It is possible that your faculty, school or institute may add other selection criteria.
  • You can only go abroad to one of the partner universities with which the University of Burgundy has signed an agreement within your area of studies.


For every period spent abroad you should decide, with the approval of your coordinator, whether you would like to study abroad for one semester or for the whole year.

You can complete more than one period studying abroad with a cooperation agreement, or even combine it with Erasmus+ mobilities (internship or exchange) during your university degree. For example, in your second year you could go abroad for a semester with Erasmus+, and then in your third year you could go abroad with a cooperation agreement. If you study at masters level you could complete a term studying in Canada in the frame of BCI programme, and in master 2 do an internship abroad.

Your international mobility projects must always be arranged in agreement with your exchange coordinators and those responsible for your degree.

Some uB students are obliged to go abroad to validate their academic year because their study programme at the uB has a mandatory study abroad element. These students must respect the guidelines set by the person responsible of their study programme at the uB in terms of duration of their mobility and possible partner universities where they can go abroad.

First Step

Use our search engine to help you find the partner universities with agreements in your field of studies. Make sure you select your faculty and field of studies!

Know that you are not always required to know the language of the country of the university in order to go abroad. For example, if you wish to go to China or to India, the courses are often taught in English. Visit the website of the partner university to find out about the teaching language and the proposed courses. Sometimes, universities offer courses specifically designed for exchange students.

Second Step

Choose the university where you would like to study and contact your exchange coordinator at the University of Burgundy in order to find out about the details of the cooperation agreement and to get their permission. Exchange coordinators are teachers at the uB who are in charge of the cooperation agreement and hence, they decide which students will go abroad.

  • Your coordinator will inform you if there is a particular selection procedure within your department and will explain all of the necessary steps that you must complete in order to be selected. For example there may be a foreign language interview or a cover letter to write. Also be aware that different faculties of the University of Burgundy may have different internal application deadlines.
  • The name of your coordinator is written on the partner university's profile found via our search engine. Use the uB directory to find their email address and their phone number in order to contact them. If the name of your coordinator is not indicated in the search engine, please contact the responsible person for the study programme that you will officially be enrolled in at the University of Burgundy during your time spent abroad or contact the responsible person for international relations within your faculty
  • If you are not selected to go to your first choice university you can reapply to another university in agreement with your uB coordinator.
  • Students who are enrolled at the uB in a study programme which has a mandatory study abroad element must discuss all details with the person responsible for their study programme.

Third Step

Once you have been selected by your uB coordinator or the person you've previously consulted who is responsible for your study programme, you must follow these administrative steps. Firstly you must apply via the International office at the University of Burgundy, and then at the host university.

Application to the University of Burgundy's International office

  • You must complete the online application form and follow the instructions that will be sent to you by email in order to create your personal online account.
  • Once you have created your online account and your application has been validated by your coordinator, you will be able to access all of the necessary documents to complete your application.
  • You must download, complete and sign these documents (electronically or by hand) and then upload them, scanned if necessary, to your online account. There is only one document that you must hand in to the International office as a paper copy. In addition, be sure to look at this file; it contains detailed information on each document that you must provide. Please read it through carefully and respect the guidelines.

The International office's online form will be open:

  • between mid-February until the 15th May for those who wish to go abroad during the first university semester or for the whole academic year;
  • between mid-September until the 15th November for those who wish to go abroad during the second university semester.
  • Once your online application form has been completed, your online personal space created and your CV, cover letter and photo uploaded, you will have a few additional weeks to finish your mobility dossier.

Applying to the host university
You must also apply to the host university to finalise your application.

  • Go to the website of the host university and follow their application instructions which are usually published under the section International students or Exchange students. In some cases, you can find all information about the partner university's application procedure from our search engine. Here, every partner university has its own profile and some profiles contain useful documents from the partner universities regarding their application procedures. For certain partner universities, you must first be nominated by the University of Burgundy so that host university can contact you so you can then apply for the partner. For this reason it is important that you are in contact with the uB International office.
  • Deadlines at the host university can be different to uB's, make sure that you have applied before the deadline.
  • If your application is submitted after the deadline, the host university can refuse to accept you even if you have been selected by your coordinator at uB.

If you encounter a problem or you have a question, you should contact:

  • your coordinator at uB if you want to know more about the internal selection process and application deadline at uB inside of your uB faculty;
  • your coordinator at uB and/or your coordinator at the partner university if you have an academic query: choosing modules, validating the semester...;
  • the Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. if it is an administrative query relating to the official application through the University of Burgundy;
  • the international relations office of the host university if it is an administrative and/or academic query related to your application at the host university (if you do not manage to find the application procedure and/or the classes on offer);
  • the International office at uB if you haven't managed to make contact with the host university.

Applications to become a language assistant

If you go abroad to work as a language assistant in a partner university and you won't be following any courses at the host university, you must only follow the steps indicated to you by your exchange coordinator at the University of Burgundy. Check with your coordinator whether you need to contact the International office to create an application file.

In order to successfully pass your university year you must choose the modules which you would like to study at the partner university.

  • In order to choose your modules and to find out what is offered in your field of studies and the language of teaching, you must look at the website of the partner university. Some universities have special courses dedicated to exchange students.
  • Choose the courses that you wish to take and discuss them with your uB coordinator. The goal is not to find exactly the same courses as those that you would take at uB but to choose modules cohesive to your area of study.
  • In order to validate your university year, you must obtain at least 30 ECTS credits each semester. If you go to the United Kingdom don't forget that one ECTS credit is worth two British credits. If you go to America or to Asia, each credit is worth two ECTS credit. For example, 30 ECTS credits = 60 credits in the United Kingdom = 15 credits in Asia or America.
  • So that your choice is taken into account, you must complete your learning agreement and have it signed by your uB coordinator and the coordinator at the host university. You will find this document in your personal online space. While you are waiting for your application to be approved by your coordinator and to have access to your online documents, you can download your learning agreement and choose your modules. If needs be, you can also send your learning agreement to the partner university. Here is an example to show you how to fill out your learning agreement.
  • If you have any questions about your module choices, you must contact your coordinator at uB or the person who is in charge of the study programme that you will officially be enrolled in at uB while you are abroad. Don't worry, it will be possible to change your module choices once you arrive at the host university if there is a problem.

uB International office contacts.

Suivez-nous : Suivez nous sur Facebook Suivez nous sur Google + Suivez nous sur Twitter Suivez nous sur Viadeo uB link, le réseau social de l'université


English version