Aller au contenu Aller au menu principal Aller à la recherche

University of Burgundy

Exchange students

Do you want to spend a semester or a year at the University of Burgundy on an exchange programme? We have over 300 international partners all over the world!

Last update: December, 14, 2020


  1. Contact your home university in order to see if a bilateral agreement exists in your field and level of studies between the University of Burgundy and your home university. Your home university will also inform you about the application procedure you need to follow for them to select you to study at the University of Burgundy as an exchange student.

  2. Once selected by your home university, you must apply at the University of Burgundy as an exchange student.

    → Fill out the online application form.

    Application period:
    - from mid-February to 15 May at the latest for first semester applicants;
    - from mid-September to 15 Novembre at the latest for second semester applicants.

  3. After having sent your application via the online application form, you will receive an e-mail asking you to create your personal account. Once your personal account has been created, you will need to download all the requested documents directly:

    - passport-size photo;
    - identity document (passport or ID card);
    - CV;
    - cover letter;
    - learning agreement signed by you and your home university.

    If your home institution does not provide you a learning agreement, please download and fill out the University of Burgundy's learning agreement with your desired courses listed.
    - Learning agreement for Erasmus+ students.
    - Learning agreement for other exchange students.

  4. We will review your application and if accepted, you will receive an admission letter from the University of Burgundy.

No late applications will be accepted.
All applications must be submitted online – we will not accept any file sent by e-mail or post.

Students with citizenship of a country within the European Union, European Economic Area, or Swiss Confederation

  • You do not have to have a student visa or residence permit to study or live in France.
    Make sure you have valid ID card or a valid passport.

Students from countries with a Campus France - Etudes en France procedure

If you DO NOT have citizenship of a country within the European Union, European Economic Area, or Swiss Confederation and you live in one of the countries from THIS list: in addition to the admissions process above, you must contact Campus France in your country of residence in order to indicate that you will be coming to the University of Burgundy under an exchange cooperation agreement, and then follow the instructions that they give you to obtain your student visa.

All other students

  • Contact Cultural Services of the French Embassy in your country of residence in order to find out the procedure for obtaining a study visa (type D).
  • If you live in a different country than that of your nationality, we advise you to contact the French embassy in your home country as well.

The official website for French visas as well as Campus France website contain helpful details about validating and renewing your visa/residence permit.

As an exchange student, you can get a room in a CROUS student centre residence hall. To do that, be sure to indicate your choice in the correct section on your application form and the International Office will pre-book a room for you. Please also specify your planned dates of arrival and departure.

If you decide not to pre-book a room in a CROUS student residence hall, you will have to search for other options.

Here are some solutions:

Good to know: do you need a garant (guarantor) in order to obtain housing? On the website Visale, find out how you can obtain a guarantor at no cost to make it easier for you to access student housing.


In order to complete your learning agreement, have a look at the University of Burgundy's study programmes and choose the courses that correspond to your field and your level of studies.

Most courses at the University of Burgundy are taught in French. If you are interested in English-taught courses, you can Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. and/or your uB coordinator who will tell you if English-taught courses are available in your field of study.

  • Good to know: if your host department at uB is IUT Dijon-Auxerre, access here their list of English-taught classes for exchange students. 


Language level required for exchange students

  • B2 in French or English, depending on the teaching language of your courses.
  • We do not require official diploma to prove your language level but if you have one, you can add it to your application file.


Administrative enrolment usually takes place:

  • at the beginning of September for first semester and whole year students;
  • mid-January for second semester students.

Enrolling is a mandatory procedure that confirms your status as a student at the University and allows you to obtain your student card, access university resources, take courses, and pass exams.

Usually, detailed information and required documents for administrative enrolment are published here:

  • in July for enrolment period in September;
  • in December for enrolment period in January.

Administrative enrolment for 2nd semester – year 2020/2021


Step 1: Prepare all necessary documents for your enrolment:


  • this enrolment file filled and signed. You don’t know how to sign PDF documents? Find instruction on this website;
  • one passport-size photo;
  • one copy of your identity document (ID card or passport);
  • one copy of your 2020-2021 admission letter for an exchange programme at the University of Burgundy;
  • one copy of your student card or of your certificate of enrolment at your home university for the current academic year;
  • one copy of a French civil liability insurance certificate (to be taken at a French bank or a French insurance operator before the enrolment session). Price: around 20 euros. If your European university provides you with a civil liability insurance, please present an insurance certificate or a detailed receipt of your registration fees including the reference to "liability insurance". If your US university covers such liability insurance costs, please provide a proof. If you have any doubts about this, please ask the international relations office of your home university for information before registration at the University of Burgundy;
  • if you have already been enrolled at a French higher education institution in the past: please attach a copy of a former student card or certificate of registration;
  • ONLY students who DO NOT HAVE citizenship of a country within the European Union, the European Economic Area or the Swiss Confederation: one copy of your passport with D-visa or long stay visa with the ''Etudiant'' (student) mention;
  • only students with the nationality of one of the countries on THIS list :
    • prove of appointment at University of Burgundy's Medical centre (more information about this here below at Step 2);
    • before your arrival in France, you must undergo a lung X-ray exam and bring with you in France the results, translated in French if possible. You will need to show your results at the University of Burgundy's medical centre before your administrative enrolment. This request is part of tuberculosis screening. The results of this exam must be less than 3 months old.

Step 2: Carry out your administrative enrolment


Different phases of administrative enrolment

  • Starting from January 4th 2021 you must request an appointment by email at Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. to be able to come to the International office at Maison de l’Université building (building number 21 on campus plan) to confirm your presence in France and to pick-up your welcome pack. Students having citizenship from one of the countries from THIS list will be also directed to the University Medical centre to take a medical appointment.
  • Send all necessary documents for registration listed here above by Email at Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.. Your documents must be in PDF format (identity photo in JPEG) and sent in ONE SINGLE Email. Do not forget to compress your documents in order to diminish their weight. If you didn’t come at the International office as indicated here above we won’t be able to carry-out your administrative enrolment.
  • The International office verifies your documents and carries out your registration if your file is complete. If the agreement between your institution and the University of Burgundy implies the payment of the registration fees we will send you by e-mail the amount of fees to pay as well as all details on how to pay your fees.
  • Once your administrative enrolment has taken place you receive an invitation to come again at the International office at the Maison de l’Université building in order to obtain your student card.

If your study programme is not on the Dijon Campus but in Nevers, Auxerre, Chalon-sur-Saône or Le Creusot please contact the administrative office of your study programme and your exchange coordinator to find about the administrative and pedagogical registration there.

Step 3: Apply for social security

Once your administrative enrolment has taken place, you must apply for social security online through the website.

Social security allows you to receive care in case of health problems and covers the majority of the cost (up to 70% on average), after which you must pay the remaining cost. To cover the expenses not covered by social security, we strongly advise you to obtain a complementary health insurance plan, called a mutuelle. This insurance is not mandatory, but can be very useful because it can cover one part or all (depending on the option you have chosen) of the costs that are not covered by social security.

If you wish to enrol in a complementary health insurance plan, you can contact one of many organisations to find the offer that suits you best:

Step 4: Carry out your pedagogical enrolment

Once you have enrolled within the International Office, you must contact the scolarité (administrative office for your study programme) in order to find out about your pedagogical enrolment (for example, to choose subjects, etc.) if necessary.

General contacts at uB

  • Student Mobility Unit at the International Office: Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.. Our staff is multilingual – we can converse with you in French and English, and potentially in other languages (German, Spanish, Romanian, Croatian...).
  • Office of Student Life (Pôle formation et vie universitaire): guidance, career advising, workshops on searching for jobs and internships, assistance for those with disabilities, and more: Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser..

Contacts within your faculty, school or institute

  • Your exchange coordinator. Their name and contact are indicated in your admission letter that you have received from our International office before your arrival at uB. If you don't know who your coordinator is, contact the Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser. or the person in charge of international relations within your faculty or institute.
  • Your professors.
  • Your faculty, school or institute's administrative office. Some departments have a specific office dedicated to exchange students. To find out who to contact, check your faculty, school or institute's website.

The Contact page, as well as the ENT directory, contains the contact information of anyone at uB whom you wish to contact.

In case of emergency
, you must contact national services outside the University by dialling the following numbers according to your situation:

  • 15: emergency medical services (SAMU);
  • 17: emergency police number in cases of violence, theft, or burglary;
  • 18: Fire department in cases of fire, gas leaks, water damage, natural disasters, or traffic accidents;
  • 112: European emergency number, free and accessible anywhere throughout the European Union, in addition to national emergency numbers;
  • 114: General emergency number centralising text and fax emergency messages for all situation types (police, fire department, and paramedics). It is particularly suited to those who have difficulty hearing or speaking, as well as to those in situations where it's impossible to speak (for example, during a terrorist attack where you must stay hidden and silent).

General structure of the academic year at the University of Burgundy:

  • first semester: from September to December;
  • first exam period: January;
  • second semester: from January to June;
  • second exam period: June.

Please note that this information is purely for informational purposes – each study programme operates according to their own schedule.

If your courses start before your administrative enrolment, don't worry: you can (and should!) still go to class. The fact that you haven't yet been enrolled administratively does not prevent you from attending class.


Once your administrative enrolment completed, the International office will send you an invitation to come at the Maison de l’Université building in order to obtain your student card.

You can use your student card to eat at the student restaurants, borrow books at the University's libraries, and get discounts at the cinema as well as other cultural institutions or events (theatre, museums, athletic events, etc.).

You can also load your card with money so that you can use it to pay at university restaurants.

In order to use this feature you must activate your card.


48 hours after you receive a confirmation from the International office that your administrative enrolment is complete you will be able to activate your University of Burgundy student account, which will enable you to access several features, such as:

  • downloading your certificate of enrolment;
  • uB student webmail, secured sharing of large files, event planning software;
  • administrative services, such as exam calendar, transcripts and grades, course enrolment;
  • online courses;
  • informational resources;
  • and more.

You can activate your account on the University's website under the Espace numérique de travail (ENT) tab.

Your account will also grant you access to the many Wi-Fi hotspots around campus, as well as to computers in the self-service labs.

To learn more, take a look at the pages Mes services étudiants and Les bons spots.


You can find plenty of useful information about student life on the uB-link student portal.

Also take a look at the City of Dijon information sheet which can be useful to you.




There are more than 140 student organisations at the University of Burgundy, across all campuses. They are great opportunities for meeting people and making friends, and many of them were created specifically for students of different origins to help you get settled into university life.

Erasmus Student Network (ESN) InsiDijon

  • The international students' association, ESN InsiDijon, offers to pair international students with a "buddy". This means that you will be paired with a University of Burgundy student who will be able to help you discover French culture and life in Burgundy. They will offer you support when you need it, and will be there for you as a helpful guide during your stay in Dijon.
  • Once you arrive in Dijon, you can also become a member of the association and participate in different activities by:
    • being actively involved in the association: organising events for students, administration, creating and managing local, regional, and international partnerships OR
    • simply participating in the association's events and projects aimed at both French and international students, such as language cafés, excursions, cultural outings, international parties, apéritifs, and more!
  • You can also join the Facebook group for international students who will be in Dijon for the 2020/2021 academic year.
PRI-petit-logo-erasmus The Erasmus+ programme is jointly funded by the European Union.

Other student organisations

All athletic, cultural, and academic organisations are listed in the Associations directory.


All year long, there are a wide variety of events happening at the University, in Dijon, and around the Burgundy region: cultural, sporting events, scientific events, etc. Many events, especially those at the University, are free and open to all.

To find out what's coming up, take a look at the various event schedules:

Events of particular interest to international students


  • International Student Welcome Days are hosted by the International Office and the ESN InsiDijon association at the beginning of every semester. This event is a great opportunity to get acquainted with both the campus environment and the city of Dijon, and to meet other students, both French and international.
    • Programme of the next Welcome Days event will be reduced due to the Covid-19 pandemic. You will receive the invitation by Email couple of weeks before the event.
  • Erasmus Days generally take place in October.
  • CROUS events Invitez le monde à votre table (Invite the World to Your Table) and Apprends-moi ton pays (Tell me about your country).
  • Your faculty, school or institute may also host events for its students, sometimes specifically for international students.

The International Office organises and provides information about different international events on uB's campus, in Burgundy, in France, and abroad. Feel free to like the International Office's Facebook page to stay up to date with all our upcoming events!


Keeping up with what uB alumni are doing can be very useful.

  • University of Burgundy Linkedin page.
  • France Alumni: network of international students in France.
  • Your faculty, school or institute may also have an association of alumni of your study programme, which could be of use to you (career advice, events, mentoring, etc.) Here are some examples of such alumni networks: Master ICM ; Le Cercle des diplômés de l'IAE Dijon; Alumni d'ISAT. You can check your faculty's website to find out if there is an alumni network for your study programme.



These workshops, conducted mainly in English by students in the Intercultural Management programme, allow uB students to learn more about different cultures and meet new people.

Discussion topics include:

  • sensitivity to cultural differences;
  • cultural differences in the working world;
  • how to overcome culture shock while abroad;
  • different concepts in other cultures: values, humour, stereotypes, table etiquette, food, etc.
  • group discussions about cultural experiences;
  • and more.


Workshop structure:

  • option of participating in workshops the first or second semester of the academic year;
  • weekly hour-long meetings generally occurring during the midday break on the Dijon campus but in the context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the workshops take place exclusively online via Teams or Zoom;
  • free and open to all uB students;
  • registration via an online form sent by e-mail to your inbox. You can also check the University's schedule to find out about upcoming registration periods: this information is usually published in September for workshops beginning in October (first semester) and in January for workshops beginning in February (second semester);
  • students registered for the workshops will receive a statement from the Faculty of Languages and Communication (UFR Langues et communication) confirming their participation.

More information:

  • Contact: Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser..
  • Watch the Culture Shock Workshops video directed by uB students

This unité d'enseignement transversale (UE), or transversal course unit, is a one-semester course that makes it possible to learn or perfect your skills in a foreign language (French for example) and to gain professional experience while working as a tutor at the University's Language Centre.

Additionally, it's a great opportunity to meet other students, both French and international.

The course unit is worth 5 additional ECTS credits, and can be added on to your curriculum in the majority of cases.

Ensemble en France (Together in France) is an online platform with interactive tools to help those who have recently settled in France better understand its customs, habits, and traditions.

Mon French Kit (My French Kit), an educational smartphone app, is also a great resource to help you through the integration process.

Before and during your time at the University of Burgundy, there are several options available to you for learning or improving your French level.

  • The International Centre for French Studies (CIEF) offers intensive French courses all year long. You can choose which arrangement best fits your needs: the Centre offers year-long, semester-long, and month-long courses, as well as a summer course. The CIEF programme is particularly tailored to students who wish to improve their French level before enrolling at the University of Burgundy and/or must pass a mandatory language test to study at university. Good to know: the CIEF also offers TCF, DELF, and DALF certification.
  • The Language Centre at the University of Burgundy offers evening courses. This arrangement, consisting of approximately 2 hours of class per week, is tailored to students already enrolled at the University. Remember that you can also apply for the Interculturalité course unit, which grants you free access to semester-long French courses.
  • Your faculty, school or institute may also offer courses in French as a foreign language. Check with your uB exchange coordinator to find out if such courses are offered. For example, the Faculty of Literature and Philosophy (UFR Lettres et philosophie) offers methodological preparatory writing lessons in humanities, literature, and social sciences for exchange students.
  • Remember that there are free online resources that can help you practice outside of a course! For example, on the France Éducation International website under the DELF-DALF and TCF tabs, you will find examples of French practice tests.
  • Participate in conversation groups organised by different associations. Practice French over drinks in a Dijon bar. Some examples of associations:
    • Café Polyglotte Dijon;
    • ESN InsiDijon Café des langues : meetings take place every second Tuesday of the month at Caf&Co (27 rue Jean Jacques Rousseau, Dijon) starting at 6:30 p.m. In the current context of the Covid-19 pandemic, we advise you to contact the ESN InsiDijon association to find out if / when the meetings will resume.
  • There are a number of websites which offer language tandems: someone who can help you to learn or improve a foreign language in exchange for you helping them to learn your own native language. These conversations can take place online or face to face. Examples of tandem language websites: The Mixxer, My language exchange, Polyglot club, Tandem linguistique, PenPal World, Inter Pals.
  • Think about reading in French, even if you don't understand everything. The aim is to successfully understand the text as a whole and to improve little by little. There are many editors who publish simplified works with simple phrases and a more limited vocabulary so that you can start. Download radio applications on your phone and listen to programmes and songs on French radio channels. When you watch TV and online content, try doing so in French.

Reading other international students' experiences and reactions, as well as those written by French students who went abroad, can help you better understand cultural differences and familiarise yourself with the country in which you will be studying.

Take a look at the many pages online featuring student testimonies:

  • Blogs E-ambassadeurs (E-Ambassador Blogs) written by international students in France who share their experiences and touch on multiple topics as told from their own perspective: studying, housing, the French language, traveling, entertainment, finances;
  • testimonies of international students who came to study or intern at the University of Burgundy;
  • uB student testimonies (French and international) who went abroad on an exchange programme or as an intern: interviews and photo slideshows with comments;
  • Agitateurs de mobilité: experiences of young people who went abroad outside of France, as well as those who came to Burgundy via the regional international mobility programme


Suivez-nous : Suivez nous sur Facebook Suivez nous sur Google + Suivez nous sur Twitter Suivez nous sur Viadeo uB link, le réseau social de l'université


  • International Office
    Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.
  • Information sheet - University of Burgundy
  • Erasmus+ charter for higher education; Erasmus+ Programme is co-financed by the European Union.


English version