Aller au contenu Aller au menu principal Aller à la recherche

University of Burgundy

Compulsory administrative processes

Essential administrative processes before going abroad.

If you are going to study in the framework of an exchange programme or do your internship abroad, you must still register as a student at the University of Burgundy when official registration opens.

If you receive a CROUS bursary within the social criteria, make sure that you specify that you are going abroad when completing your pedagogical enrolment. This way the University and CROUS will be aware that you will not be attending classes at the University of Burgundy and you will continue to receive your bursary.

You are still eligible for your monthly CROUS bursary within the social criteria if you decide to study or do your internship abroad. If this concerns you, don't forget to complete your application (Dossier social étudiant - DSE) for your CROUS bursary.

If you are going to study abroad in the framework of an exchange programme, it is vital that you register at the host university once you have arrived. In order to find out about the procedure that you need to follow, visit the host university's website and if needs be, contact their international office.

It might also be interesting to find out if the university offers language courses.

To get advice and find out about housing for your time abroad you will need to contact the host organisation or establishment.

If you are studying abroad in one of our partner universities, it may be possible to reserve a room in the university residences when you complete your application. It is completely up to you whether you choose to stay in a university residence or find somewhere else to live.

If you do not accept university housing, if you are not offered somewhere to live, or if you are going abroad in the framework of another type of mobility where it is not possible to reserve any type of housing, you yourself must find your own accommodation.

For ideas about how to find housing you can:

  • have a look at rental websites in the area surrounding where the mobility will take place;
  • have a look at online forums that talk about finding housing;
  • follow social networks of student societies at the host university;
  • contact the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) association in the town where you will be living if you are going to a country participating in the Erasmus+ programme.

  • Make sure that your identity card or passport is up to date and valid throughout your entire stay.
  • Equally, make sure you apply for a visa or a work permit if required in the country where you are going to study or work.

If you have citizenship of the European Union you can enter, study and stay in an EU country just by showing either your valid identity card or passport. Depending on the laws of the country where you are going to stay, it is sometimes necessary to ask for a European community visa. In this case, you must go to the local authorities (the town hall or the police depending on the country) and show your identity card or passport, proof of housing and your registration certificate from the host university or your internship contract.

If you are going to a country outside of the European Union you must find out about visas and work permits from the Embassy or the consulate of that particular country based in France. This also applies to students who do not have citizenship of a country within the European Union; whether they are planning to go to countries inside or outside the EU.

Start the consular procedures as soon as possible as it can take a long time. Students who need a visa or a work permit must start their application as soon as they have received their admission letter from the partner university or upon reception of their internship contract.

For more information, visit:

For studying abroad

  • Obligatory: health insurance.
  • Optional but strongly recommended: accident insurance, civil liability insurance and repatriation insurance.

For Internships abroad

  • Obligatory: health insurance, accident/workplace accident insurance and civil liability insurance.
  • Optional but strongly recommended: repatriation insurance.


  • Health insurance

If you have health insurance of an EU country and if you are remaining within the EU during your mobility, make sure you have an in-date European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). However, the coverage of this insurance is not always comprehensive, particularly in the case of repatriation or for a particular medical treatment. Therefore an additional health insurance policy can prove to be extremely helpful. If you are completing an internship outside of the European Union, it is vital that you take out an additional health insurance policy. If you don't have health insurance of one of the EU countries, make sure you have registered for appropriate health insurance to cover you in the host country.

  • Workplace accident insurance

Workplace accident insurance is only necessary for students who are going to complete an internship abroad. It covers any damages which may result from an accident caused by an employee in their place of work. In order to guarantee complete cover, you can take out a workplace accident insurance policy.

  • Civil liability insurance

Civil liability insurance covers any damages caused by the participant during their mobility abroad. Talk to your host establishment to find out whether they have a civil liability policy which covers interns and/or students. If the organisation does not have such policy, you will need to ask your normal insurer to extend your civil liability insurance to the country/geographical zone where you are going.

In order to register for the correct insurance policies, you can contact your Social Security organisation in France or your foreign insurance provider.

Ariane Portal

It is mandatory for all students - French and international - that they register on the online Ariane Portal to get relevant information about the security situation in the host country.

Once you have registered on the Ariane portal:

  • you'll receive information about security in your host country if a situation arises;
  • you'll be contacted in the case of crisis in your host country;
  • if need be, the person you have mentioned as an emergency contact will be contacted.

French nationals living outside of France register

If you have French citizenship and if you will spend more than 6 consecutive months abroad, you are recommended to register for the Register of French nationals living outside of France through your French General Consul put it place to protect French citizens.

It is free to register and is a completely voluntary and not obligatory process. It has often proved to be very useful, for example if you need to renew your passport or if there is a security threat in the country (natural disaster, epidemic etc).

For more information visit:

Non French nationals

If you do not have French citizenship contact the embassy of your country in France or in the country where you will be living to find out if there are any other similar arrangements that have been put in place.

It is essential that you find out about the health and security situation in the country where you are going. To find out more you can visit the pages for advice for travellers on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website and/or visit your embassy's website in the host country if you are not a French citizen/don't speak French.

If you are going to do an internship abroad, you should find out about the conditions for an intern in the country, for example; whether a salary is obligatory, decided by your employer or a common practice, the amount of this potential salary, the rights of interns, etc. For this you can take a look at the website Euroguidance which gives you detailed information for countries within the European Union, Norway and Sweden.

uB International office contacts.

Suivez-nous : Suivez nous sur Facebook Suivez nous sur Google + Suivez nous sur Twitter Suivez nous sur Viadeo uB link, le réseau social de l'université


English version