Aller au contenu Aller au menu principal Aller à la recherche

University of Burgundy



In France, it is important to declare your income every year: although income tax is automatically deducted from your monthly salary, you still have to declare it every year.

You are obliged to declare your income under the following conditions:

  • you have received a salary from a French organization (private, public, association...);
  • you are in professional activity, paid or not;
  • you live in France for at least half of the year (6 months or more).

All income must be declared to Tax services whether that be salary, allowances or unemployment benefits etc. You must fill in a declaration of income. This does not necessarily mean that you will be taxed. It is compulsory to declare your taxes, however whether you pay any tax will depend on your income. If you rent a property, this declaration is also used as a basis from which local taxes are calculated.

If you currently reside in France or if you have resided in France during the past calendar year, you will have to declare your income received during the previous year to the French tax authorities.

  • If you are declaring your income in France for the first time you must print the online tax form n°2042 which will be available in spring and send it by post to the Service des impôts des particuliers du centre des finances publiques (Tax Services for individuals at the Public Finances Centre) in your city of residence.
  • If you have already declared your taxes in France you should already have a tax notice from a previous year and a tax number: you must declare your income online. The deadline for this depends on which department you are living in.

For more information, take a look at Direction générale des finances publiques (General Direction of Public Finances) website.


This tax is included in the Housing tax. You must pay this tax if you have a personal television set. You will receive the tax notice in the last quarter of the calendar year.

  • Good to know: if you are staying in the hotel or the International House, you do not have to pay this tax.

For more information, visit the Public finances' website.


This is a tax which is specific to your housing. It takes into account the area, the state of maintenance, the environment and the municipality of your housing.

Housing tax is calculated annually based on your situation on the 1st of January of that tax year, whether you own, rent or occupy your housing free of charge. Even if you move during the year or if you are no longer living in France you will still be taxed for the address at which you lived on the 1st of January.

  • Good to know: today, most households in France are exempt from this tax for their main residence - depending on your annual income, you may therefore be exempt from this tax. However, if you have more than one accommodation in France, you will remain taxable for all your second homes. 

For more information, visit the Public finances' website.

Suivez-nous : Suivez nous sur Facebook Suivez nous sur Google + Suivez nous sur Twitter Suivez nous sur Viadeo uB link, le réseau social de l'université

Alfred website

Benefit from personalised support before and during your stay in France, as well as assistance tailored to your needs, such as administrative help, insurance and health coverage, bank accounts, the opportunity to take French lessons, and tips on finding housing. You can gain access to all this by registering with ALFRED©.

International House

  • International house

    At the very heart of the uB Dijon campus, an innovative and original residence designed for both long and short stays.



  • Anne-Clémence VOISIN

    Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.

    University of Burgundy
    International Office
    EURAXESS Burgundy - room R24
    Maison de l’Université
    Esplanade Erasme
    BP 27877
    21078 Dijon cedex France

Some useful links


English version