Cooperation agreements

Study at one of our partner universities from all over the world for a semester or a whole year.

Like the Erasmus+ programme, cooperation agreements outside of Erasmus+ allow you, in most cases, to spend a semester or a whole year studying at one of the University of Burgundy's partner universities. The only difference is that these non-Erasmus+ programmes allow you to study all across the world whereas Erasmus+ only allows you to go abroad in countries participating in the Erasmus+ programme.

Reasons and advantages to going abroad.

The University of Burgundy's partners

In addition to its Erasmus+ agreements, the University of Burgundy has more than 90 international partners around the world.

You can study abroad at any partner university with which the University of Burgundy has a cooperation agreement within your area of studies. For example, if you are a second year history student, you can go to any university where the University of Burgundy has a cooperation agreement for bachelor level studies in history within the Humanities faculty.

In some cases, the University of Burgundy may have signed agreements in all fields. In this case you can apply to these universities provided that they offer courses in your domain of studies.

Some agreements allow you to work as a language assistant in a university. Before applying, find out about this possibility with the help of your exchange coordinator or the person in charge of international relations within your department.

Eligibility and duration



For every period spent abroad you should decide, with the approval of your coordinator, whether you would like to study abroad for one semester or for the whole year.

You can complete more than one period studying abroad with a cooperation agreement, or even combine it with Erasmus+ mobilities (internship or exchange) during your university degree. For example, in your second year you could go abroad for a semester with Erasmus+, and then in your third year you could go abroad with a cooperation agreement. If you study at masters level you could complete a term studying in Canada in the frame of BCI programme, and in master 2 do an internship abroad.

Your international mobility projects must always be arranged in agreement with your exchange coordinators and those responsible for your degree.

Some uB students are required to go abroad to validate their academic year because their study programme at uB has a mandatory study abroad element. These students must respect the guidelines set by the person responsible of their study programme at uB in terms of duration of their mobility and possible partner universities where they can go abroad.

How to apply?


Applications for the 2nd semester 2020/2021 academic year are being processed but remain subject to changes depending on world health context, borders’ opening and national decisions and measures.

First Step

Use our search engine to help you find the partner universities with agreements in your field of studies. Make sure you select your faculty and field of studies!

Know that you are not always required to know the language of the country of the university in order to go abroad. For example, if you wish to go to China or to India, the courses are often taught in English. Visit the website of the partner university to find out about the teaching language and the proposed courses. Sometimes, universities offer courses specifically designed for exchange students.

Second Step

Choose the university where you would like to study and contact your exchange coordinator at the University of Burgundy in order to find out about the details of the cooperation agreement and to get their permission. Exchange coordinators are teachers at the uB who are in charge of the cooperation agreement and hence, they decide which students will go abroad.

Third Step

Once you have been selected by your uB coordinator or the person you've previously consulted who is responsible for your study programme, you must follow these administrative steps. Firstly you must apply via the International office at the University of Burgundy, and then at the host university.

Application to the University of Burgundy's International office

The International office's online form will be open:

Applying to the host university

While you are in the process of applying to the International office at uB, you must also apply to the host university in order to finalise your mobility.

If you encounter a problem or you have a question, you should contact:

Applications to become a language assistant

If you go abroad to work as a language assistant in a partner university and you won't be following any courses at the host university, you must only follow the steps indicated to you by your exchange coordinator at the University of Burgundy. Check with your coordinator whether you need to contact the International office to create an application file.

Choice of modules


In order to successfully pass your university year you must choose the modules you would like to study at the partner university.

uB International office contacts.