Compulsory administrative processes

Required administrative procedures for going abroad.

Register at the University of Burgundy

If you are going to study in the framework of an exchange programme or do your internship abroad, you must still register as a student at the University of Burgundy when official registration opens.

If you receive a CROUS bursary within the social criteria, make sure that you specify that you are going abroad when completing your pedagogical enrolment. This way the University and CROUS will be aware that you will not be attending classes at the University of Burgundy and you will continue to receive your bursary.

Complete your application for CROUS

You are still eligible for your monthly CROUS bursary within the social criteria if you decide to go on exchange or do your internship abroad. If this concerns you, don't forget to complete your application (Dossier social étudiant - DSE) for your CROUS bursary.

Register at the host university

If you are going to study abroad in the framework of an exchange programme, it is vital that you register at the host university once you have arrived. In order to find out about the procedure that you need to follow, visit the host university's website and if need be, contact their international office.

It might also be interesting to find out if the university offers language courses.

Finding housing

To get advice and find out about housing for your time abroad you will need to contact the host organisation or establishment.

If you are studying abroad in one of our partner universities, it may be possible to reserve a room in the university residences when you complete your application. It is completely up to you whether you choose to stay in a university residence or find somewhere else to live.

If you do not accept university housing, if you are not offered somewhere to live, or if you are going abroad in the framework of another type of mobility where it is not possible to reserve any type of housing, you yourself must find your own accommodation.

For ideas about how to find housing you can:

Getting the right legal documents



You are going to EU, EEA or Switzerland


You are going to a country OUTSIDE of the EU/EEA/Switzerland

Start the consular procedures as soon as possible as it can take a long time. Students who need a visa or a work permit must start their application as soon as they have received their admission letter from the partner university or upon reception of their internship contract.

For more information, visit:


For studying abroad

For internships abroad


Health insurance

For more information about insurance plans in both EU and non-EU countries, visit the website


Workplace accident insurance

The need for this insurance applies to students going abroad for an internship and covers any damages to employees caused by an accident at the workplace. You can benefit from national legislation concerning workplace accidents in many cases. In order to guarantee complete cover, you can take out a workplace accident insurance policy.


Civil liability insurance

Civil liability insurance covers any damages caused by the participant during their mobility abroad. Talk to your host establishment to find out whether they have a civil liability policy which covers interns or students. If the organisation does not have such policy, you will need to ask your normal insurer to extend your civil liability insurance to the country/geographical zone where you are going.

In order to register for the correct insurance policies, you can contact your Social Security organisation or your complementary health insurance provider.

Useful information about consular services

Ariane Portal

It is mandatory for all students - French and international - that they register on the online Ariane Portal to get relevant information about the security situation in the host country.

Once you have registered on the Ariane portal:

French nationals living outside of France register

If you have French citizenship and if you will spend more than 6 consecutive months abroad, you are recommended to register for the Register of French nationals living outside of France through your French General Consulate put in place to protect French citizens.

It is free to register and is a completely voluntary and not obligatory process. It has often proved to be very useful, for example if you need to renew your passport or if there is a security threat in the country (natural disaster, epidemic etc).

For more information visit:

Non-French nationals

If you do not have French citizenship contact the embassy of your country in France or in the country where you will be living to find out if there are any other similar arrangements that have been put in place.

Find out about the country

It is essential that you find out about the health and security situation in the country where you are going. To do this, you can visit your embassy's website in the host country.

Good to know: the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs website also provides all necessary information in French.

If you are going to do an internship abroad, you should find out about the conditions for an intern in the country, for example; whether a salary is obligatory, decided by your employer or a common practice, the amount of this potential salary, the rights of interns, etc. To do this, you can visit the Euroguidance website which provides this information for the 27 countries of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Montenegro, Norway, the United Kingdom, Serbia, Switzerland and Turkey.

uB International office contacts.