Aller au contenu Aller au menu principal Aller à la recherche

University of Burgundy

What you have to do at your arrival ?

Legal formalities : Do you need a residence card ?

Everyday formalities

  • Insurances
  • French courses
  • Cultural life
  • Childminding and schooling

Legal formalities : Do you need a residence card ?

You’re a Bulgarian or a Romanian citizen and you’ll get a salaried status in France.

If you‘re about to sign a working contract in France you’ll have to get an employment authorization from the French authorities (DDTE) and you’ll have to apply for a European community residence card .

Please note : if you holds a French master degree you don’t need to get an employment authorization and to apply for a residence card at the prefecture (the French government office) of your place of residence. That permit, and a valid passport constitutes proof of legal presence in France.

You’re an extra European researcher.

  • You are holding a short stay visa You don’t have to apply for a residence card. Please note : the short stay visa allows the holder to stay in France for a period not exceeding three months. This type of visa cannot be extended.
  • You’re holding a long-stay visa

You’ve got to apply for a residence permit at the prefecture

To get your residence permit the following documents are requested :

> Your passport and its photocopy + a copy of the visa and of the stamp marking the date of entry
> Original of your hosting agreement (convention d’accueil) + a photocopy
> A copy of your birth certificate + a certified birth certificate translation > A copy of your marriage certificate
> 3 uncut passport pictures (3.5 x 4.5 cm)
> One stamped envelope with your current address
> Photocopy of a proof of residence in France (such as a lease, a rental agency certificate, a contract to open an electricity (EDF), gas (GDF) or telephone account, a proof of property ownership or a letter by the person providing the accommodation
> If you’re a PHD student enrolled at the University of Burgundy : a copy of your working contract


Medical insurance : health cover

You’ll be a salaried worker in France
The researcher is required to visit the local national health office (Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladie - CPAM) of his/her place of residence one month after the starting date of the contract in order to establish a « right to Social Security » for himself/herself as well as the members of his/her family.

Please note : salaried workers from uB are automatically affiliated to the health insurance group called MGEN
13 Bd de l’université
21000 dijon

Application forms are available at the International Relations Office, Maison de l’université office R29.

You won’t get a salaried status in France

  • You’re a European researcher You have to hold your European health insurance card .Your European health insurance card or at least a temporary certificate of insurance will enable you to get reimbursement for health insurance costs.
  • You’re an extra European researcher

The Universal Health Cover (CMU)
The CMU entitles registration with the national health system.
Affiliation to the CMU is free if the annual household income is less than 7083 Euros.

General conditions :
> You mustn’t have a salaried status
> You mustn’t be covered by another social security system (from example from your home country )
> You must prove that you’ve been legally living in France for at least three ongoing months
> What you have to do
The affiliation request has to made to the local Caisse Primaire d’assurance maladie (CPAM)
Affiliation to the basic CMU operates from the first day of request

French private insurances :

A lot of French private insurance companies offer medical insurances to researchers who can’t be affiliated to the national health scheme. We advise you to study and compare carefully the contents and prices of the offers.

The Kastler foundation has also negotiated a special offer for researchers with ABC /Axa insurance :

Insurance cover at work :

  • Insurance cover at work/Industrial Injury/occupational disease (IIOD)/ you’ve got/you’ll get a salaried status in France.

You’re automatically covered (once you’ve signed your working contract) by your host institution.

  • Insurance cover at work/ industrial injury /occupational disease (IODD)

    You won’t get a salaried status in France.

The voluntary insurance
What you have to do/ Formalities
To benefit from the provision regarding work-related activities you’ve got to print off the application form called “demande d’admission à l’assurance volontaire individuelle accidents du travail et maladies professionnelles

Complete the application form and hand it back to your local national health office (Caisse Primaire d’assurance maladie : CPAM)
Please note : this form has to be handed back to the CPAM 48 hours before the beginning of your mission.

Bilateral Agreements
Your home country has signed a bilateral agreement with France Study the content of the agreement to see if it includes an insurance cover at work

Personal liability :

Personal liability is everyone’s obligation to repair damages caused accidentally to others or their properties.

To be covered you’ll have to take out an insurance contract including personal liability : Assurance Responsabilié Civile.
Some compulsory insurances such as housing insurances and car insurances already include.
personal liability covers but these are sometimes limited and you have to check their contractual clauses.

If you haven’t got a personal liability cover you’ve got to go to insurance company and subscribe one. Study the conditions of the contract to see if it really suits your needs.

French courses

  • At the university of Burgundy :

    The CIEF provides different offers of courses of French as a foreign language :

  • L’alliance Française

    The Kastler Foundation and the Dijon Alliance Française have signed an agreement to offer you a special discount on the tuition fees upon the sole presentation of your guest researcher’s card and of an ID card.

Cultural life and tourism

Tourism in Burgundy :
Forthcoming events in Dijon :
Cultural program of the University of Burgundy : ?rid=505

School and childminding

In France school is compulsory for children between 6 and 16 years old Non paying schools (State sector) and fees- paying schools (private sector).
Deliver the same national curriculum.

Most of the schools offer a food service at lunch time. Nursery and primary schools (for children from about 3 to 6 years old) usually provide day-care services before and after school hours.

  • For 3 years old children onwards

    School is not compulsory but three years old children can be admitted to a nursery school.
    To get further information please follow the link :
    You can register your child either to a school belonging to the state sector or the private sector.
    If you want to register your child to a state school you can contact the town hall of your place of residence to get the name of the school you’re belonging to or follow the link :

The EURAXESS services centre of the university of Burgundy can also help you, please contact Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser..

Suivez-nous : Suivez nous sur Facebook Suivez nous sur Google + Suivez nous sur Twitter Suivez nous sur Viadeo uB link, le réseau social de l'université


  • Pôle International
    Université de Bourgogne
    Maison de l’Université
    Pôle International
    Bureau R30
    Esplanade Erasme
    BP 27877
    21078 Dijon cedex France
  • International house
    Cette adresse e-mail est protégée contre les robots spammeurs. Vous devez activer le JavaScript pour la visualiser.

More informations


English version